[INDOLOGY] The legal right to publish OA

Ram-Prasad, Chakravarthi c.ram-prasad at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Jul 21 18:37:59 UTC 2015

In the UK, research funded by the Research Councils /have/ to be open access for all papers (not yet books). Universities are having to start budgeting for 'gold access' - open access at time of publication. As for academics' right to publish open, at present most publishers allow a 'pre-publication' version to be posted, but 'green access', open after a set period, is their preferred option. To some extent, the government insistence on open access and publishers' economic model are heading for collision; hence the universities having to think of paying for gold access. The problem is that limited funds makes it impossible for universities to pay for non-research council funded papers that academics want to put on open access but for which publishers have stringent restrictions on open access.

Ram

iPhone