[INDOLOGY] Speaking of plagiarism: Hari Prasad Shastri's Rāmāyaṇa

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 16:15:16 UTC 2015

This is amazing, Robert. Just last week I was reading about how influential
Hari Prasad Shastri's English translation of the *Rāmāyaṇa* was. Who would
have thought that an Indian teacher, an accomplished Sanskrit scholar as he
was, would have largely translated from the French translation of a Western
scholar rather than from the original Sanskrit.

Nancy and I take this opportunity to express our utmost appreciation to you
and Sally and your team for your lifelong project of translating the
critical edition of the *Rāmāyaṇa* into English. The team from the Oriental
Institute, Vadodara (Baroda), working from 1951 to 1975, gave the world the
first critical edition of the Sanskrit *Rāmāyaṇa*. Your team gave the world
the first reliably accurate English translation of the *Rāmāyaṇa*. The
value of these two contributions cannot be overestimated.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.