Re: [INDOLOGY] Speaking of plagiarism: Satya Prakash Sarasvati and Satyakam Vidyalankar’s Ṛgveda

Valerie Roebuck vjroebuck at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 20 06:49:23 UTC 2015

I think it’s fairly safe to say that Sir Monier Monier-Williams was not a very nice person.

E.g. from p. xxxi of his Dictionary, in the ‘Acknowledgements of Assistance Received’ - normally a place to be polite and grateful to people who have helped us:

'The names of my new Assistants in chronological order are as follow: -

'First, Dr. Ernst Leumann (a native of Switzerland), who worked with me in Oxford from October 3, 1882, until April 15, 1884…

'He was succeeded by the late Dr. Schönberg (a pupil of the late Professor Bühler), who came to me in a condition of great physical weakness, and whose assistance only extended from May 20, 1884, to July 19, 1885, when he left me to die. He was a good scholar, and a good worker, but impatient of supervision, and, despite my vigilance, I found it impossible to guard against a few errors of omission and commission due to the rapid impairment of his powers.’

Valerie J Roebuck
Manchester, UK