[INDOLOGY] Unidentified character

jacob at fabularasa.dk jacob at fabularasa.dk
Sat Jul 18 13:18:17 UTC 2015

Dear list,

Can anyone help me identifying the character that appears twice in the
third word in the attached image, i.e. below धर्म ध्यांन?

The image represents a square of a (poorly scanned) gyan chaupar
painting from early 19th century Bikaner, Rajasthan. I would expect the
reading श्रेणि here, but it could easily be something else. I have met
with this character several times, but never in a context where I could
be absolutely certain of its interpretation.

Any help much appreciated.

Best,
Jacob

Jacob Schmidt-Madsen
PhD Student
Department of Cross-Cultural and Regional Studies
University of Copenhagen
Denmark