[INDOLOGY] Religious Literature with Political Purposes

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan Palaniappa at aol.com
Tue Jul 7 21:33:08 UTC 2015

Regarding Tamil Nattukkottai Chettiars (aka Nagarathar community), they have been the most important supporters of Brahminical institutions like the Sankaracharya mathas and temples.

See http://www.kamakoti.org/kamakoti/stotra/acharyascall/bookview.php?chapnum=63 <http://www.kamakoti.org/kamakoti/stotra/acharyascall/bookview.php?chapnum=63>

See http://www.webxchange.com/koviloor/histext.html <http://www.webxchange.com/koviloor/histext.html>
The Veerasekara Gnana Desikar mentioned in the second link is the same as Veerappa Swamigal mentioned by Kanchi Sankaracharya in the in the first link.

Also see http://www.kovilur.com/university.htm <http://www.kovilur.com/university.htm>, an initiative of the institution founded and headed by a person belonging to the Chettiar community.

Also, see http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=4233 <http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=4233>

One can judge from these links if Chettiars eschewed Sanskrit.

The level of Sanskritization among Tamils today may be gauged from the onamastics of Tamil proper names.

Regards,
Palaniappan