[INDOLOGY] Vedic verse in Ortega y Gasset

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 19:38:25 UTC 2015

Prof. Dipak Bhattacharya's response was :

A distant reflection of RV 3.62.10 : 'I meditate upon that adorable
brilliance of the Begetter who may inspire our thoughts' ?

The lines quoted were :

*Lord, awaken us in a happy ** mood, and give us knowledge!*

The Savitri/Gayatri mantra (excluding PraNava and vyAhritis) is :

*tát savitúr váreṇ(i)yaṃ**bhárgo devásya dhīmahi**dhíyo yó naḥ prachodáyāt *

Prof. Dipak's translation takes this as a single complex sentence with a
relative clause. The quoted lines have two different sentences. Taking
Savitri/Gayatri mantra as made up of two different sentences is found in
Ralph T H Griffith.

I contributed the analysis of various meanings given to Gayatri mantra in
the page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayatri_Mantra. There, I showed that
taking the mantra as sAyaNa's  approach and taking it as two different
sentences as Griffith's approach.

I tabulated the analysis as follows :

*author**year**paraphrase**note*Sir William Jones
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Jones_(philologist)>1807"Let us adore
the supremacy of that divine sun, the god-head who illuminates all, who
recreates all, from whom all proceed, to whom all must return, whom we
invoke to direct our understandings aright in our progress toward his holy
seat."[14] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayatri_Mantra#cite_note-14>Savita
is taken as the Sun, Like Sayana <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayana> the
whole mantra is taken as one single sentence with a relative clause
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_clause>.William Quan Judge
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Quan_Judge>1893"Unveil, O Thou who
givest sustenance to the Universe, from whom all proceed, to whom all must
return, that face of the True Sun now hidden by a vase of golden light,
that we may see the truth and do our whole duty on our journey to thy
sacred seat."[15] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayatri_Mantra#cite_note-15>Sir
William Jones <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_William_Jones> is
followedSivanath
Sastri (Brahmo Samaj <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahmo_Samaj>)1911"We
meditate on the worshipable power and glory of Him who has created the
earth, the nether world and the heavens (i.e. the universe), and who
directs our understanding."[16]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayatri_Mantra#cite_note-16>Bhur Bhuvuh Svah
is taken as part of the Mantra, Like Sayana
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayana> the whole mantra is taken as one
single sentence with a relative clause
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_clause>.Swami Vivekananda
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Vivekananda>1915"We meditate on the
glory of that Being who has produced this universe; may He enlighten our
minds."[17]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayatri_Mantra#cite_note-Vivekananda-17>Like
Griffith, takes the mantra as made up of two different sentences unlike
Sayana <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayana> or Sir William Jones
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_William_Jones>S. Radhakrishnan
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._Radhakrishnan>1947, 1953

   1. " We meditate on the effulgent glory of the divine Light; may he
   inspire our understanding."[18]
   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayatri_Mantra#cite_note-Radhakrishnan_1947-18>
   2. "We meditate on the adorable glory of the radiant sun; may he inspire
   our intelligence."[19]
   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayatri_Mantra#cite_note-19>

--
Prof.Nagaraj Paturi