[INDOLOGY] Iti praancah

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at pbhome.se
Sun Jan 25 14:19:59 UTC 2015

In a technical section of an astrological text (Balabhadra's
Hāyanaratna) I just came across the expression iti prāñcaḥ, which I
don't recall seeing before and couldn't find in Tubb and Boose's
otherwise excellent Scholastic Sanskrit. Am I right in thinking that it
means something like 'so say earlier [authors]'?

A quick web search for the phrase returned seven hits, one of which
(Annambhaṭṭa's Tarksaṃgraha
<http://gretil.sub.uni-goettingen.de/gretil/1_sanskr/6_sastra/3_phil/nyaya/antsdi_u.htm>)
does seem to contrast prāñcaḥ with navīnāḥ, in support of my conjecture;
but the others were inconclusive. An old blog post
<http://elisafreschi.blogspot.se/2008/12/longer-discussions-on-arthabhvan-in-bha.html>
showed that at least I'm not alone in wondering about it.

Any clarifications or corrections would be much appreciated.

Martin Gansten