[INDOLOGY] N. Ganesan's Dravidian etymologies for 'makara', etc.

asko.parpola at helsinki.fi asko.parpola at helsinki.fi
Tue Jan 13 12:14:14 UTC 2015

I told Ganesan that Tamil nakar 'to creep (as a reptile), to crawl (as
an infant), to sneak away' (TL), to which he had drawn my
attention, might be the sole survivor of Proto-Dravidian *nakar
and in that case a better etymology for Sanskrit
nakra etc. and Proto-Dravidian *nekaL than Proto-Dravidian
*neka- (DEDR 3730) that I proposed on p. 19 of my crocodile
paper (2011).

Best regards, "Asokan"