[INDOLOGY] Metrically restored Rgveda and traditional recitation

George Cardona cardonagj at verizon.net
Tue Jan 13 11:52:21 UTC 2015

I have a suggestion, which I proposed some years ago in Purāṇa Itihāsa Vimarśa, Essays in Honour of Professor S. G. Kantawala, Delhi/Varanasi, 1998, pp. 313-335 (‘Ideal and performance in Sanskrit’): the accepted text of the Ṛgveda included hypermetric (bhurik) and hypometric (nicṛt) pādas, which the Ṛgvedaprātiśākhya acknowledges.  The same prātiśākhya also provides that, for perfecting a pāda, one may break up the results of sandhi, including the insertion of i and v to give iy, uv instead of y, v.  The apparent inconsistencies are reconciled if one accepts that the ideal pādas arrived at are intended not for recitation but for theoretical purposes: to allow stating by rules the syllalbles of pādfas that are elibible for metrical lengthening and the structures of cadences. which Śaunaka also does in his prātiśākhya.  George