[INDOLOGY] Satirical criticism in Sanskrit literature and philosophy?

Nicola Pozza nicola.pozza at unil.ch
Fri Jan 9 10:56:48 UTC 2015

Dear Prof. Houber, dear members of the list,

regarding Hindi, there is of course one book that cannot be avoided:
/Rāg-darbārī/ (1968) by Shrilal Shukla. It narrates in a very hilarious
and iconoclastic way the life of villagers (but also of a young naïve
scholar) and proposes a first-hand critique of postcolonial Indian
society (Shukla knew from the inside this world and the panchayati
system, as he worked for many years for the IAS).
The novel has been translated (or sometimes rather adapted) into English
by Gillian Wright.
A good paper on it is:

Anjaria, Ulka, « Satire, Literary Realism and the Indian State : /Six
Acres and a Third/ and /Raag Darbari/ », /Economic and Political
Weekly/, 41 (46), 2006 : 4795-4800 (http://www.jstor.org/stable/4418923).

Best wishes,

Nicola

Le 09.01.15 11:31, Eli Franco a écrit :

> I am just writing a note on bhautopaakhyaana (appears also as
> bhautaakhyaana). These are short anecdotes about dumb and dumber used
> by philosophers to illustrate the stupidity of their opponents. The
> structure is invariably the same: One fool asks a stupid question or
> makes a stupid statement, and another fool, who claims to correct or
> instruct him, makes an even more stupid statement.
> I have found very few of those; two in the Pramanavarttikabhashya (one
> of which is repeated by Shanti Suri), one in Jnanasrimitra's work, and
> one in Udayana's Aatmatattvaviveka. If anyone knows of more, I will be
> grateful for any references.
>
> As for satires in Hindi, I have found Taj Mahal ka Tender, translated
> by Oranskaya and her students, very funny. It places the building of
> the Taj Mahal in modern India and of course the actual work never
> begins (the money is embezzled, used for bribes, unnecessary
> administration and so on).
>

> Zitat von Christophe Vielle <christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be>:
>
>> On satire in the Indian vernacular languages, there is also this
>> recent volume (reference from Indologica):
>>
>> http://indologica.de/drupal/?q=node/2214
>> Horstmann, Monika [u.a.] [Hrsg.]:
Indian Satire in the Period of
>> First Modernity / ed. by Monika Horstmann and Heidi Pauwels. -
>> Wiesbaden : Harrassowitz, 2012. - X, 242 S. : Ill. - (Khoj ; 9)

>> (...)

Satire reveals fault lines and incongruities between ideal and

--
UNIL
Dr Nicola Pozza

Ph.: +41 (0)21 692 30 10