[INDOLOGY] Untraced quotation from Bhoja

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Wed Jan 7 12:47:28 UTC 2015

There is one more edition of the grammatical Sarasvatī-kaṇṭhābharaṇa 8th adh. (Gujarati script for the commentary)  :
Bhojadeva-viracitaṃ sarasvatīkaṇṭhābharaṇa-vaidikavyākaraṇam | aṣṭamo 'dhyāyāḥ | prathama-dvitīyapādau (vaidikīprakriyā) | tṛtīya-caturthapādau (svaraprakriyā) /  New Delhi : Rāṣṭrīya Vedavidyā Pratiṣṭhāna, 1992
see (for a part):
http://books.google.be/books?id=uICH235KSUMC

Le 7 janv. 2015 à 11:27, Christophe Vielle <christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be> a écrit [note the here corrected ref. to KS] :

> Dear list,
>
> in a commentary to a Sanskrit play (dated from the 9th to the 11th c.), there is the following quotation from/reference to a sūtra-work by one Bhoja  :
>
> vānarajātibhir ity atra vā śabdasya+eva+ity arthaḥ | vā śabdaḥ samuccaya-vikalpa-nirṇayeṣv iti bhojasūtreṇoktam | atra nirṇaye | antarhitābhir eva+ity arthaḥ |
>
> (the glossed word is in italics : the meaning is either in the śabda itself or - according to the  referred sūtra -, and as it would be the case here, in the nirṇaya).
>
> This could be a reference to one work among the several ones attributed to the 11th c. king of Dhara.
> However, Bhoja's only work in sūtra-form is the grammatical Sarasvatī-kaṇṭhābharaṇa (*), in 8 adh., of which I am aware of the following two editions only :
>
> • 4 vols ed. in the Trivandrum Sanskrit Series, no. 117 (1935), 127 (1937), 140 (1938) and 154 (1948), of which the vol. 4 only is e-available through the DLI : http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/scripts/FullindexDefault.htm?path1=/data14/upload/0012/922&first=1&last=547&barcode=99999990322092
> or http://www.new1.dli.ernet.in/scripts/FullindexDefault.htm?path1=/data9/upload/0291/833&first=1&last=547&barcode=99999990293901
> • ed. T. R. Chintamani, prefaced by Kunhan Raja, Madras University Sanskrit Series no. 11, 1937, which should be available through the DLI (but it does not function in this case) :
>
> http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/scripts/FullindexDefault.htm?path1=/rawdataupload/upload/0121/707&first=1&last=530&barcode=5990010121705
>

> Would the commentary refer to that work (which I am presently unable to check fully)?
>
>  Or would it be possible that there exists a (mīmāṃsā or niyāya, possibly lost) sūtra-work dealing with śabda-topic and authored by another (older) Bhoja?
>
> Note that Aruṇagirinātha in his com. to Kumārasambhava 5,65 (cf. also Nārāyaṇa Paṇḍita ad loc.) refers to a grammatical sūtra by Bhoja in the followin manner :
>
> tadādau ceti bhojasūtram
>
> (TSS 32, p. 251-2:  https://ia601602.us.archive.org/20/items/Trivandrum_Sanskrit_Series_TSS/TSS-032_Kumarasambhava_Part_2_-_TG_Sastri_1913.pdf )
>

> Thank you for any comment or help in that matter.
>

> * which is different from Bhoja's encyclopaedic work on poetics/rhetorics samely entitled Sarasvatī-kaṇṭhābharaṇa, in 5 paricchedas, available through the following editions:
>
> •  ed. Jīvānanda Vidyāsāgara, Calcutta, 1894:
> https://ia601904.us.archive.org/3/items/Complete_Works_of_Jibananda_Vidyasagara/Saraswatikanthabharanam_with_Commentary_-_Jibananda_Vidyasagara_1894.pdf or
> http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/scripts/FullindexDefault.htm?path1=/data_copy/upload/0083/216&first=1&last=854&barcode=1990020083211
>
> • NSP, 2nd ed. 1934, KM series no. 94 (input of the first 4 par. on SARIT) :
> http://ia700702.us.archive.org/0/items/Kavya_Mala_Series_Of_Nirnaya_Sagar_Press/KavyamalaVol_94-SaraswatikanthabharanaOfBhoja1934.pdf
> [...]

Christophe Vielle
Louvain-la-Neuve