[INDOLOGY] Manuscripts in India

Patrick Olivelle jpo at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Mon Jan 5 19:53:31 UTC 2015

This tale of woes is quite familiar to me, having worked on procuring manuscripts from about 1975. Back then you could simply walk into any manuscript library and they would offer you space (and even tea) to microfilm their manuscripts (I always brought my own camera). This was yet in place as I collected a couple of hundred manuscripts for my edition of Manusmṛti during the 1990s -- and these were libraries from around India: Pune, Wai, Baroda, Mysore, Chennai, Trivandrum, etc. I had no luck with Benares (except for the university) and could not access the collections in Kashmir (they were locked up during those years); I even got stuff from the Asiatic Society in Calcutta (how things have changed there!). Things began to change in the mid 2000s; I was told I could have only one-third of a manuscript from Osmania University!! Now, as I have been working on manuscripts of Yājñavalkya Smṛti, obstacles began to be put at every stage. I am not quite sure what the "real" reasons are for such obstruction of access, and they may be varied. Some try to get money from "rich" people, not realizing the Sanskritists are everywhere at the bottom of the economic totem pole!! A few years ago I went from Rs. 100 per page in some northern collections to Rs. 5-10 elsewhere, especially in the southern libraries. But then there are others that simply refuse to give out any copies. Young scholars attempting to work on manuscripts today will have a tough time, but PERSEVERANCE often pays dividends.

Patrick