Re: [INDOLOGY] The word kārikā in the title of works

Dominic Goodall dominic.goodall at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 10:28:55 UTC 2015

Dear list-members,

The use of the singular of -kārikā in text-names is actually not uncommon in Śaiva works. In the published and unpublished works of Aghoraśiva (fl. 1157 A.D.), for example, we often find quotations introduced with formulae such as

yad uktaṃ niśvāsa-kārikāṃ, tathoktaṃ nāda-kārikāyāṃ, tad uktaṃ bhoga-kārikāyāṃ, and so forth.

Sometimes only a single verse is quoted, and so one might toy with the hypothesis that the singular was used precisely because a single kārikā was being introduced.
But sometimes the quotations that are introduced consist of more than one verse. Of course even here one could try to argue that a kārikā might be considered to be made up of several pādas. But there are other uses of the singular where the context makes clear that it really is the text — and not a kārikā-length unit of the text — that is meant.

To give just one example, this time from tenth-century Kashmir, here is the gīti verse that concludes Bhaṭṭa Rāmakaṇṭha's commentary on Sadyojyotiḥ's Mokṣakārikā:

iti mokṣakārikāyāṃ nārāyaṇakaṇṭhasūnunā racitā |
saṃkṣepād vṛttir iyaṃ śiṣyahitā bhaṭṭarāmakaṇṭhena ||

Dominic Goodall
École française d'Extrême-Orient