Re: [INDOLOGY] The word kārikā in the title of works

Philipp Maas philipp.a.maas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 16:40:41 UTC 2015

Dear Members of Indology,

Roland Steiner was so kind as to refer me to Wezlers article
<http://menadoc.bibliothek.uni-halle.de/dmg/periodical/titleinfo/150856>
“Zu der Frage des Strebens nach äußerster Kürze– in den Śrautasūtras.
*Zeitschrift
der Deutschen Morgenländischen Gesellschaft *151 (2001), p. 351-366, p.
360, note 45, which actually is the article I had in mind.

Wezler observes (on the basis of limited evidence) that colophons and other
Sanskrit sources usually use the plural kārikā-s when referring to
versified works, and he suspects that the usage of the singular became
common only due to modern Indological catalogueing and the preparation of
title lists.

With regard to the Sāṃkhyakārikā-s Wezler notes that the title provided in
the work itself is Sāṃkhyasaptati, and that the commentaries, as far as
Wezler could see (which coincides with my own observations) never refer to
the work with the title Sāṃkhyakārikā.

With many thanks to all who responded on- and off-list.

Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp A. Maas
Universitätsassistent