[INDOLOGY] The word kārikā in the title of works

Philipp Maas philipp.a.maas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 15:37:19 UTC 2015

Dear Members of Indology,

I remember having read an article by Albrecht Wezler in which the author
argues cogently that the word *kārikā*, unlike the word *sūtra*, was not
used in pre-modern times to designate a whole work but only to refer to a
single stanzs as a constituent of a work. Accordingly, the title Sāṅkhyakārikā
for the seventysomething stanzas composed by Īśvarakṛṣṇa would be a modern
invention.

With regard to this, I have two requests: Would somebody please be so kind
as to remind me of the bibliographical details of Wezler’s article?
Moreover, I would appreciate any information going beyond Wezler’s article
on where and by whom the expression "Sāṅkhyakārikā" was used first as the
title of Īśvarakṛṣṇa’s work.

With many thanks in advance,

Philipp Maas

--