Re: [INDOLOGY] help with Nyāyasudhā quotation

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Thu Aug 27 12:14:55 UTC 2015

I would be interested by a reference (which one is given by Kuddala?) to an edition of the Parāśara-Upapurāṇa.
The Parāśara-(Upa)purāṇa, Parāśara-prokta / Parāśarokta / Pārāśar(y)a  (Upapurāṇa) occurs in several lists of upapurāṇa (see R. C. Hazra Studies in the Upapurāṇas vol. 1, 1958, pp. 4-12), but Hazra, who should have deal with it in the 3rd unpublished vol. of his "Studies" (the one on the śaiva upap.), does not give any reference nor comment on it, except the following footnote in vol. 1 p. 5 : "Thus the Parāśara-upapurāṇa seems to be distinguished from the Viṣṇu-p. or the spurious 'Vaiṣṇava' (mentioned by Vallālasena in his Dānasāgara, p. 7, verse 63), which was spoken out by Parāśara".
Through the EPB on-line (slip below), I see that a critical edition of the text was prepared but I don't think it was achieved.

Author	Gangadharan, N[ates]
Title	A brief note on the Parāśarapurāṇa
Language	Engl.
Published	In: Purāṇa 25,1, January 1983, p. 44-47
Description	Concise remarks on contents, extent, Śivaite character, and upapurāṇa nature of the Parāśarapurāṇa. Announces "a critical edition and analysis" of the text. The new Catalogus catalogorum seems to account for about fifty manuscripts of this Purāṇa. (F)

Now I see through WorldCat that there is at least this edition by Kapiladeva Tripāṭhī: Pārāśaropapurāṇam (samīkṣātmakaṃ sampādanam), Vārāṇasī : Sampūrṇānanda Saṃskṛta Viśvavidyālaya, 1990. Sarasvatībhavana-adhyayanamālā, 40.

Le 27 août 2015 à 12:53, Madhav Deshpande <mmdesh at UMICH.EDU> a écrit :

> Dear Arlo,
>
>      In his Sanskrit introduction to the first volume of the Nirnayasagara edition of Patañjali's Vyākaraṇa-Mahābhāṣya (1917, p. 16, fn 5), the editor Shivadatta Kuddala says that this verse is from Parāśara-Upapurāṇa.  The same source is given for the traditional definitions of Sūtra and Vārttika. (Kuddāla, Intro, p. 12 and 14).  For the definition of Sūtra, Kuddāla also refers to Viṣṇūdharmottara (ibid, p. 12).  On p. 11 of his Introduction, Kuddāla quotes the following verse from Parāśara-Upapurāṇa:
>      pāṇinīyaṃ mahāśāstraṃ padasādhutvalakṣaṇam /
>      sarvopakārakaṃ grāhyaṃ kṛtsnaṃ tyājyaṃ na kiṃcana //
> From this it appears that there is a section in the Parāśara-Upapurāṇa dealing with Pāṇini, and the definitions of Sūtra, Vārttika and Bhāṣya likely appear in that section.
>
>   I don't have a copy of Parāśara-Upapurāṇa with me at hand, but that is one possible source to check. Hope this helps.  Best,
>
> Madhav Deshpande
>
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 4:28 AM, Arlo Griffiths <arlogriffiths at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> Can anyone help me trace the precise location of the following quote?
>
> sūtrārtho varṇyate yatra vākyaiḥ sūtrānusāribhiḥ |
> svapadāni ca varṇyante bhāṣyaṁ bhāṣyavido viduḥ ||
>
> My colleague Shilpa Sumant and I had once found this definition in Jayatīrtha's Nyāyasudhā, somewhere after p. 467 in vol. 1 of K.T. Pandurangi's edition (Bangalore, c. 2002-2006); that edition reads sūtrānukāribhiḥ. But we don't have said edition at hand at the moment and cannot find the quotation anymore.
>
> A precise bibliographic reference and, ideally, a scan of the relevant page plus title page, would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Arlo Griffiths
> École française d'Extrême-Orient

> --
> Madhav M. Deshpande
> Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
> Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
> 202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
> The University of Michigan
> Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA

Christophe Vielle