[INDOLOGY] help with Nyāyasudhā quotation

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 27 08:28:43 UTC 2015

Dear colleagues,

Can anyone help me trace the precise location of the following quote?

sūtrārtho varṇyate yatra vākyaiḥ sūtrānusāribhiḥ |
svapadāni ca varṇyante bhāṣyaṁ bhāṣyavido viduḥ ||

My colleague Shilpa Sumant and I had once found this definition in Jayatīrtha's Nyāyasudhā, somewhere after p. 467 in vol. 1 of K.T. Pandurangi's edition (Bangalore, c. 2002-2006); that edition reads sūtrānukāribhiḥ. But we don't have said edition at hand at the moment and cannot find the quotation anymore.

A precise bibliographic reference and, ideally, a scan of the relevant page plus title page, would be greatly appreciated.

Arlo Griffiths
École française d'Extrême-Orient