Re: [INDOLOGY] dates of commentaries on vṛttaratnākara

Andrew Ollett andrew.ollett at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 23:15:09 UTC 2015

Dear François,

According to H.D. Velankar's *Jayadāman* (Bombay 1949), pp. 41–43, and his
later article on Trivikrama in JASB 33 (1958) 25–68, the dates are as
follows:

   - Trivikrama: latter half of the 11th c. CE (he was a student of
   Vardhamāna, the preceptor of King Karṇa of Ahnilvad Patan, r. 1064–1094)
   - Sulhaṇa: saṃ. 1246/1190 CE (he refers to the Paramāra king
   Vindhyavarman in his examples)
   - Somacandra: saṃ. 1329/1271 CE
   - Rāmacandra: beginning of the 16th c. CE.

Andrew

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 9:21 AM, François Patte <