[INDOLOGY] Vedic/Sutra affiliation

(Maitreya) Borayin Larios shrimaitreya at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 12:08:52 UTC 2015

Dear Prof. Deshpande,

What I observed with the few Brāhmaṇas of Maharashtra that learned more
than one Veda is that they usually affiliate to the first Veda they learned
as their svaśākhā (which should be the Veda of their family, thus
determined by birth, although this is often not the case). The additional
Vedas learned after their own Veda (usually portions thereof or the Saṃhitā
of the next Veda at the most) are usually considered secondary. In some
cases the second Veda learned is more important for their ritual
activities. For example I witnessed that some Yajurvedins had learned the
Sāmaveda and thus were known and hired often for their expertise in
chanting the second Veda (as there are fewer Sāmavedins in Maharashtra),
yet still considered Taittirīya their svaśākhā and Āpastambha or
Hiraṇyakeśī their Sūtra.

I hope this anecdotal information helps. If I remember correctly Scharfe in
his Education in Ancient India (2002) collected some of the textual
references on the rules of first learning one's svaśākhā and then
proceeding to the next Veda, but unfortunately, I do not have the book at
hand right now.

Best,
Borayin Larios

[image: --]