[INDOLOGY] Request for Eric Hayot's The Elements of Academic Style: Writing for the Humanities

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 11:26:34 UTC 2015

A matter of principle?
there is, to my mind, a rather great difference between asking for a PDF of
an obscure, out of print or difficult to obtain scholarly work (even book),
for which, among other things, the author/editor never expected to make a
penny,and asking for a scan of a *current*, in print, and not even very
expensive (Amazon has new copies for less than $12.00) general book.
My wife likes to remind me that I am not the policeman of the world, and I
am mindful of this (or try to be), and I'm aware that this is, in many
respects, "none of my business," and moreover I speak as someone with a 2
TB drive almost completely full of scans of books, articles, manuscripts
etc etc., but whenever possible alongside not instead of publications. I am
also aware that having a good job my financial situation is not that of
everyone, and that's also why I mentioned above the price (fin possible
contrast, I suspect--although I have not seen any such thing--that it won't
be too long before PDFs of the Oxford Rgveda start to circulate, since the
book sells for a price to make even a well paid academic take a deep
breath--at the same time, that's the whole RV, and if it were to have been
published in parts the sum of those parts would no doubt be greater than
the price asked now, so I'm not complaining about the price, only
commenting on what I suspect will likely happen... ).

sorry for rambling...

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Niranjan Saha <shrinsaha at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear list-folk,
>
> I would be grtaeful if any of you have  a scaned copy /pdf of Eric Hayot's *The
> Elements of Academic Style: Writing for the Humanities * (2014) and could
> share with me for my personal use.
>

> With sincere regards,
>
> Niranjan Saha

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
http://www.buddhismandsocialjustice.com/silk_publications.html