Re: [INDOLOGY] Two additional recensions of the Ṛgveda available

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 05:03:10 UTC 2015

A number of the khila verses are also included within the Śāṃkhāyana
recension. The recent edition by Amal Dhari Singh Gautam gives pada-pāṭha
for them. The question now is whether the pada-pāṭha he gives for them is
found in the Śāṃkhāyana pada-pāṭha manuscripts, or added by the editor from
other sources. This edition has no critical apparatus. The Sanskrit bhūmikā,
consisting of pp. v-xxii, says (p. xvi) that for the Āśvalāyana recension there
are 20 saṃhitā-pāṭha manuscripts and 18 pada-pāṭha manuscripts, and for the
Śāṃkhāyana recension there are 8 saṃhitā-pāṭha manuscripts and 17 pada-pāṭha
manuscripts. It then succinctly describes each of the 25 Śāṃkhāyana manuscripts
(pp. xvi--xxi). The English Introduction, consisting of pp. xxiii-xxxvii,
gives a brief recap in its first four pages, only mentioning (p. xxiv) that
there are in total 38 Āśvalāyana manuscripts and 25 Śāṃkhāyana manuscripts.
The rest of it is devoted to acknowledgements. I did not see anything about
whether the khila verses are found in the Śāṃkhāyana pada-pāṭha
manuscripts. The editor mentions (p. xxviii) that he has published more
than 10 papers on these Vedic śākhās since 1969. Possibly he discusses this
in one or more of these papers. There is no bibliographic listing of them.

B. B. Chaubey in his edition of the Āśvalāyana recension has in English a
Preface, pp. ix-xvii, an extensive Introduction, pp. 1-102, and "Textual
variants in the ĀśvS with regard to additional mantras recorded from MSS,
Khilas and other texts," pp. 103-146. So he gives variants for the
additional mantras, but not for rest of the Āśvalāyana text, which includes
verse 10.121.10 that my question was about. I assume that Satavalekar's
well-known statement in his Sanskrit prastāva to his edition of the Ṛgveda,
that there is only one variant reading in the Ṛgveda (eka eva pāṭhabhedaḥ),
is enough to make people think that no critical apparatus for the Ṛgveda is
needed. As for the khilas, Chaubey describes (pp. 32-34) the various
editions, including the 1906 Scheftelowitz edition in more detail than the
others. He does not mention Scheftelowitz's 1907 WZKM article that Walter
referred us to, which was new to me.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.