[INDOLOGY] Pali Text Society : I. B. Horner Memorial Lecture

Rupert Gethin Rupert.Gethin at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Aug 14 16:27:53 UTC 2015

Dear Colleagues,

PALI TEXT SOCIETY

Ingo Strauch (Université de Lausanne) will deliver the 16th I. B. HORNER
MEMORIAL LECTURE:

"Gāndhārī, Pāli and the Buddhist ‘Urkanon’: The language(s) of the
earliest Buddhist transmission in the light of Buddhist texts from Gandhāra"

Friday, 18 September 2015, 5.30 p.m.

Room B111 (Brunei Gallery)
School of Oriental and African Studies
Thornhaugh Street
Russell Square
London WC1H OXG

All are welcome

ABSTRACT
Since Lévi’s article “Observations sur une langue précanonique du
bouddhisme” (1912) and Lüders’ ground-breaking study on “Die Sprache des
buddhistischen Urkanons” (1954) it can be considered as opionio communis
that at least core texts of the Buddhist canonical traditions were
originally composed in a language that can be described as a kind of
North-Eastern Middle Indic dialect. Among these “core texts” are
certainly the Prātimokṣasūtra and karmavācanā formulae whose composition
seems to go back to the earliest days of Buddhism, if not even to the
time of the Buddha himself. The later linguistic diversification of this
literature is usually described in terms of the division of “Mainstream
Buddhism” into various schools (nikāya) – each one with its own Vinaya
in its peculiar language that was also paradigmatic for the language of
other canonical texts. As recent research on early Buddhist manuscripts
seems to show, this picture is rather simplistic and does not reflect
the complex processes that accompanied the evolution of Buddhist
canonical literature. Of crucial importance here are two manuscripts
from the “Bajaur Collection of Kharoṣṭhī Manuscripts” that contain
portions of canonical Vinaya material. Datable to the 1st or 2nd century
CE, they belong to the earliest Buddhist manuscripts. In my lecture I
will discuss their relation to known Buddhist Vinaya traditions and the
implications for our understanding of the formation of the diverse
Buddhist literary traditions.

Best wishes,

Rupert Gethin

--