[INDOLOGY] reunion

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Sun Aug 9 10:10:21 UTC 2015

Dear dr Resnick,
As you probably know, John Brockington takes the Asvamedhikaparvan in its entirety to be a later addition (The Sanskrit Epics, Leiden 1998, p. 153). In fact, according to him all the following books are later additions as well, or else late as separate books. That is to say, their arrangement into separate books was secondary, and introduced only for the sake of arriving at the number 18 for the total books (id. p. 154).
As to your question, I have no answer. That I feel nevertheless obliged to reply is that I written an article on these final books of the Mahabharata, "The Mahabharata after the Great Battle". which appeared in WZKS XLVIII (2004), pp. 5-46). Maybe you find some inspiration in it.
Best, Herman Tieken

Herman Tieken
Stationsweg 58
2515 BP Den Haag