[INDOLOGY] Article on Panini in Friday Times, a Pakistani news paper

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sun Aug 2 21:11:48 UTC 2015

I found an interesting popular article on Panini by Salma Mahmud, a
Pakistani reporter.  My late colleage Professor Ian Catford from the
University of Michigan many years ago visited Chota Lahur, the old
Śalatura, in the Swat Valley of Pakistan, and told me that the local
farmers had heard about Panini being from their town.  My other colleage
from Michigan, Professor Peter Hook brought a potsherd from this place for
me.  So I have the pleasure of physically touching an object from the
birthplace of Panini.

--
Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics