[INDOLOGY] Siddha <->JIvanmukta

Patrick Olivelle jpo at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Sun Apr 12 21:38:09 UTC 2015

With regard to "siddha", there is interesting evidence from a tradition far different from the "religious", and that is Kauṭilya's Arthaśāstra. There the term is used frequently with regard to monetary matters and bookkeeping, but within a religious context we have both siddha used alone and in the compound siddhatāpasa. In these usages, the reference is to a religious virtuoso who is capable of, or believed capable of, doing extraordinary things. See, for example, Arthaśāstra: 1.11.16; 1.12.22; 1.21.24; 4.3.13, 25, 44; 4.4.3; 5.1.3; 5.2.39, 41.

For jīvanmukta, from a Advaita and quasi-yoga perspective, see Vidyāraṇya's Jīvanmuktiviveda, newly edited and translated by Robert Gooding, available, I think, through the service that publishes dissertations.

Best,

Patrick