[INDOLOGY] archery question

Eltschinger, Vincent Vincent.Eltschinger at oeaw.ac.at
Wed Apr 8 01:06:46 UTC 2015

Worth mentioning in passing might be episodes from the Buddha legend, especially from the Lalitavistara, where the bodhisattva is depicted as defeating all his young Śākya colleagues. Sculptural representations of the (series of) episode(s), especially in Gandhāran art, are numerous. A good starting point is certainly Isao Kurita, Gandhāran Art, I, The Buddha's Life Story, especially pp. 54-55; other reproductions can be found in W. Zwalf, A Catalogue of Gandhāra Sculpture in the British Museum, vol. II,  unfortunately unavailable to me right now.
Nobody knows what another might find in textual or iconographic sources, so why not give it a try...
Best,
Vincent Eltschinger

Doz. Dr. Vincent Eltschinger
Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia
Austrian Academy of Sciences
Apostelgasse 23
A-1030 Vienna
Vincent.Eltschinger at oeaw.ac.at