[INDOLOGY] Tukaram and the name Tuka

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 18:52:50 UTC 2015

The derivation chukka<s'ukra sounds convincing and compelling in the
interpretation of the idiom chukkeduru. It is an astrological belief that
travelling in the direction facing the planet Venus (which appears similar
to  Moon even in daylight in the sky) leads to reversal of fortune or
misfortune. There is another idiom chukka podduna lEchi. podduna = at the
rise of /in the morning; lEchi =waking up, chukka podduna lEchi =waking up
at the rise of chukka,   Chukka=star does not work here.

chukka = a small drop, dot, star , a dEs'ya (native, not borrowed) word is
well known.

chukka<s'ukra seems to be a tadbhava (Sanskrit/Prakrit-derived) homophonous
with the above dEs'ya word.

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 11:35 PM, Suresh Kolichala <
suresh.kolichala at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nagaraj: I believe the derivation of Telugu *cukka *< Skt. *śukra *is a
> folk etymology, although, it is very popular among the Sanskrit pundits of
> the Telugu land. The word *cukka *in the meaning of "a small drop", "dot"
> and  "star" is found across several Dravidian languages  that it is
> difficult to assume that *śukra *became *cukka *and then spread into so
> many of these languages (See [DEDR 2646
> <http://kolichala.com/DEDR/searchindexid.php?q=2646&esb=1> ]*)*.
>
> Furthermore, beside *vālucukka (**వాలుచుక్క) *for *Śukra*, Telugu has
> names for other stars containing *cukka*, such as *vēgucukka *(వేగుచుక్క
> North Star),  *ecakankaṭicukka  *(ఏచకంకటిచుక్క uttarāṣaḍa), *kukkacukka *
> (కుక్కచుక్క=*punarvasu*), kummarasārecukka (కుమ్మరసారెచుక్క viśākhā), it
> becomes clear the the word *cukka *was generic term for star, and not
> derived from  Sanskrit *śukra*.
>
> Suresh.
>
> On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 3:30 PM, Nagaraj Paturi <nagarajpaturi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> In Dravidian, at least in Telugu, the word chukka, at least in one of the
>> usages, vEguchukka, is derived from s'ukra.
>>
>> --
>> Prof.Nagaraj Paturi
>> Hyderabad-500044

Prof.Nagaraj Paturi