[INDOLOGY] Tukaram and the name Tuka

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at pbhome.se
Sat Apr 4 08:13:42 UTC 2015

In my researches into Tājika or Sanskritized Perso-Arabic astrology I've
come across the name of an author not mentioned in any of David
Pingree's works, a Tuka Jyotirvid. I'd never heard the name Tuka before
and was wondering whether it could possibly be a Sanskrit version of a
Persian name; but that seems unlikely, given that Tuka Jyotirvid wrote a
work in Sanskrit verse. Then I thought of Sant Tukārām, whose name I
presume is a compound (of either tukā + rāma or tuka + ārāma). I'd be
glad of any information on the first member of this name: geographical
and linguistic origins, meaning, caste or other social/religious
connotations, etc. Above all, are people still called Tuk(a)/Tukā, or do
we at least know of any historical person by that or a similar name
other than Tukārām?

Many thanks in advance, and apologies for cross-posting.

Martin Gansten