[INDOLOGY] Russian 14 cent. Birchbark MSS from Novgorod

Andrey Klebanov andra.kleb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 16:18:14 UTC 2014

The Russian site, to which the NYT links ( http://gramoty.ru ) contains, among others, this article - http://gramoty.ru/?id=general_info - that also explains that the letters were in most of the cases scratched with a metal stylus. Only two letters in the collection, so the same article, were written in ink (no mention of etching as far as I could see). And yes, there is definitely plenty of birch (as well as cultural references to it and birch-bark-handicrafts) in Russia!

best,
Andrey Klebanov