[INDOLOGY] Digital of edition PTS Pali canon

Rupert Gethin Rupert.Gethin at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Oct 13 18:46:38 UTC 2014

Dear List,

Apologies for sending essentially the same message twice yesterday: I
wanted to send notice about the availability of these files to several
lists and inadvertently sent it twice to Indology.

To fill in some more of the background, in the mid 80s the PTS signed an
agreement with the Dhammakaya Foundation in Thailand, who basically
provided the necessary resources to input the text of the PTS edition of
the canon. TEI-XML had yet to evolve and the plan was to produce a
CD-ROM package. I think two versions were released in the 1990s and
distributed to a number of people. The general verdict was that neither
version worked particularly well. Some years went by. Eventually the
Council of the PTS came to the conclusion that it was unfortunate that
these digital files existed but very few had access to them. The
simplest and most efficient way of making them widely available seemed
to be to add them to the GRETIL resource. The Dhammakaya files were
usable but certainly needed some tidying up. The PTS is extremely
grateful to Reinhold Gruenendahl for all the work he has put in in order
to make these files more user friendly and accessible. TEI-XML mark up
would be a good next stage.

With best wishes,

Rupert Gethin

--