[INDOLOGY] "Happiness" and "well-being" in Sanskrit literature

Pascale Haag payhaag at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 26 09:10:47 UTC 2014

Sorry, I meant "Tedesco"

From: payhaag at hotmail.com
To: indology at list.indology.info
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:09:03 +0000
Subject: [INDOLOGY] "Happiness" and "well-being" in Sanskrit literature

Dear colleagues,

I have started to work on the notions of well-being and happiness. In psychology and more generally in social sciences, current
conceptions of well-being and happiness often draw a
distinction between “eudaimonic” and “hedonic” perspectives, with reference to Classical Hellenic philosophy, notably Aristotle’s concept of eudaimonia
or Aristippus’ notion of hedone (see e.g. Ryan & Deci, 2001; Ryff, 1989; Waterman,
1993, 2013).
I wonder whether (or to what extent) such
conceptual frameworks are valid outside the Western context. I also try to find out how well-being and
happiness been conceptualised differently elsewhere, especially in India, in Sanskrit texts.

I have not found many bibliographical references so far (mostly papers by psychologists such as Kiran Kumar Salagame or Mohsen Joshanloo, and papers on ku"sala by Redesco and Cousins).
I would thus be extremely grateful for any suggestions.

If any member of the list is also interested in this topic, I am also interested in possible collaborations. Please let me know!

Best wishes,

Pascale Haag.

Associate professor
École des hautes études en sciences sociales
Institut de recherches interdisciplinaires sur les enjeux sociaux – Sciences sociales, politique, santé
190, avenue de France
75013 Paris

http://iris.ehess.fr/index.php?1464