[INDOLOGY] What is a "Mana" ?

Harry Spier hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 19:22:53 UTC 2014

Dear list members,

We have some old microfilm in our archives which is labelled as having been
taken some at Nedumpilli Mana, Taikkat Mana and Kavapramarth Mana.

I've found this website "Famous Manas in Kerala"
http://www.karmakerala.com/guide/famous-manas-in-kerala-guide.html

which lists Nedumpilli Mana amoung others but I'm still not clear what
exactly is meant by a "Mana".  Is it an extended family home?, the center
of a religious sect?, a religious school? or something else.

Apologies if this is an elementary question, any help would be appreciated.

Harry Spier
Manager, Muktabodha Digital Library