[INDOLOGY] MLBD and Hitler

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Wed May 21 19:46:45 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Given MLBD's response to DB, the issue is now essentially closed. I just wish to endorse Jonathan Silk's
comments: to wish not to be associated with a publisher involved in marketing Mein Kampf is
tantamount neither to book-banning nor to limiting the free circulation of ideas. I reserve fully the right to
let it be known to the institutions, businesses, etc., with which I am engaged, what policies,
products, etc., I approve or disapprove of, and to let them know that there are circumstances under
which I will part company with them. It is then up to them to decide whether they value
the association with persons who share these views sufficiently to alter their policies or not.

This is how free markets function.

best,
Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago