[INDOLOGY] Hitler and MLBD

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Tue May 20 15:05:11 UTC 2014

Dear Robert,

I don't have to read Mein Kampf in order to know what Nazis and their
followers (such as the French régime of Vichy) did.

I just have to walk the streets of Paris and to see what is written here
and there, such as in the "plaque" (see the two attached files) which
stands in "Rue Alibert" outside a School, in the 10ème arrondissement of
Paris, less than 500 meters from the place where I currently live.

Our indian friends never have the occasion to see such things. For them
NAZISM is an abstraction and, as Jan Houben pointed out, about the name
"Hitler", « it seems to have become lexicalized in the sense of "severe
person" ...»

I don't know a single person in Europe who is proud of the crimes
committed at the time of Nazism.

I don't want to prevent people from reading /Mein Kampf/, I don't want
to "moralize", I just want to send the message to our Indian colleagues
and friends that:

« WE (in Europe) ARE NOT PROUD OF this segment of our past. »

And I am sure that those members of my family who are German would be
happy not to see the topic of Hitler and Nazism come up automatically,
while travelling in India, whenever the people they meet detect that
they are German (To me, a Frenchman, they would of course talk about
Napoleon ...)

This thread is not ABOUT INDIA:
it is a thread ABOUT EUROPE (and about the stereotypes concerning
Europe, which we DON'T HAVE TO ACCEPT).

This is a thread for making statements about who WE are
(the WE being intended as "inclusive" [Tamil நாம் (nām)], if I adress
someone who perceives oneself as having European roots and as
"exclusive" [Tamil நாங்கள் (nāṅkaḷ)] if I adress someone else.

And the statements are especially important when they are adressed to
OUR CHILDREN (I myself have two boys)

And I agree that this thread does not concern INDOLOGY (and INDIA)

BUT I have just signed the petition, online at:

"http://www.change.org/petitions/motilal-banarsidass-stop-publishing-and-selling-hitler-s-mein-kampf#share"

Best wishes from Paris

-- Jean-Luc

"https://twitter.com/JLC1956"