[INDOLOGY] year number without millennium

Marco Franceschini franceschini.marco at fastwebnet.it
Tue May 20 09:28:39 UTC 2014

Dear colleagues,

some years ago there was a discussion on this list concerning the habit to state the Kollam year number without the thousands in Malayalam manuscripts (not inscriptions!). If I remember well, the topic was raised by Ken Zysk (I can’t access the list archive right now because of a "Bandwidth Limit Exceeded” error).

My question is: do some of you know about any publication dealing with (or just referring to) this usage in any South Indian manuscript traditions (not only Malayalam)?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best wishes,

Marco Franceschini
---