[INDOLOGY] Fwd: Hitler and MLBD

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Mon May 19 12:51:24 UTC 2014

Dear Veeranarayana Pandurangi,

leaving aside for the time being the "MLBD controversy",
I wish to draw your attention on the fact that many of the members of
this list are from Europe and that for 99% of the inhabitants of Europe,
Hitler is not a "hero" (or a "national hero") but a *monster*,
which is why the choice of words in your statement (reproduced below)
probably appears to many as "maladroit" (I am at a loss for words if I
do not use my mother tongue, which is French, as you know)

We are told as children, at school, about what happened during the
Holocaust and for many a European child it is a traumatic experience, to
hear about this segment of the past.

I remember having nightmares when I was 12 or 13, after being told at
school about that episode in European history

Although the INDOLOGY mailing list has mostly for its topic CLASSICAL
INDIA, India is not the only country in the world and the very strong
TABOO that exist (and for good reason) in other countries or continents
must not be forgotten.

You are more likely to reach an understanding with your fellow human
beings (who share professional interests with you) if you avoid
expressions such as "national heroes".

Kindly understand that I am not criticizing you but only trying to help
you understanding the sensitivities of those who grew up under
circumstances different from the ones you grew under

Yours with every good wish

-- Jean-Luc Chevillard (Paris-Pondicherry-Hamburg)
  [currently in Paris]

"https://twitter.com/JLC1956"