[INDOLOGY] Evil, the Vedas and Upanishads

Shyam Ranganathan shyamr at yorku.ca
Fri Mar 7 18:58:09 UTC 2014

Dear Indologists,

Please excuse cross postings.

I would be grateful for references to any work done on the idea of /EVIL
/in the Vedas and Upanishads.

I appreciate that there may not be a one to one correlation between the
English "evil" and corresponding words in Vedic literature. "Evil" could
range over ideas such as:  ra-ks.asa or darkness/ignorance (e.g.
Br.hada-ran.yaka Upanis.ad 1.3.28 --- tamaso ma- jyotir gamaya).  In
connection to this, anything about the demonification of asura-s (and
the vindication of devas) would be welcome too.

In this connection I am also especially curious about blood offerings to
evil spirits in animal sacrifices (e.g., Aitareya Brahmana II.1.7) and
possible Vedic criticisms of the practice.

Thank you!
Shyam

Shyam Ranganathan
Department of Philosophy
York University, Toronto

would include the idea of pathological agents, fault, and "darkness"
construed as something bad.

I would also be interested in any evidence of darkness treated as a good
thing. I figure we find this in the later tradition (in the idea of
Krishna for instance).

Many thanks!

Shyam

Shyam Ranganathan