[INDOLOGY] Shruti and non-literalism.

elisa freschi elisa.freschi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 09:48:23 UTC 2014

Dear Edwin,

concerning Mīmāṃsā, the locus classicus is the devatādhikaraṇa (PMS 9.1.9). There is an excellent article by F.X. Clooney about it (1988) and some thoughts on it can be read also here: https://www.academia.edu/6263852/Between_Theism_and_Atheism_a_journey_through_Visistadvaita_Vedanta_and_Mimamsa

A further interesting reading is Robert Goldman's "How Fast Do Monkeys Fly? How Long Do Demons Sleep?" (discussing literality in the interpretation of Rāmāyaṇa's stories) in *Rivista di Studi Sudasiatici* 2006. You can download the file here: http://www.fupress.net/index.php/rss/issue/view/231

best wishes,

elisa

Dr. Elisa Freschi
Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia
Austrian Academy of Sciences
Apostelgasse 23
1030 Vienna
Austria