[INDOLOGY] sea travel

George Hart glhart at berkeley.edu
Sat Jun 28 02:39:22 UTC 2014

In this regard, Akananuru 255, probably from the first to the third century CE, is worth looking at (my translation below).  George

255. Pālai

The heroine, who has changed (grown thin and pale) in separation, overwhelmed by despair, speaks to the friend.

Fearfully, his ship sways as it cleaves the water

and it seems the earth has turned upside down

on the great expanse of the ocean with its waves that smell of fish.

It is tossed by swift winds that never cease day or night,

and the helmsman steers, guided by the bright lamps	5

on the tops of mansions by broad bays with high shores heaped with sand.

My man has left me to find wealth, friend.

Could he come without delaying many days

and make the pain that kills me go away?

In our rich town where water dashes against the cool fields, 	10

the north wind blows incessantly, touching the innermost petals

of the rich flowers of cool pakaṉṛai bushes,

their blossoms white against the dark karuviḷai plants,

and making the green fruits of pākal with skin like jackfruit

sway among all the kūtaḷam vines with their fading leaves.	15

If only we could find someone kind enough to go

and tell him how the wind blows all night in our guarded, many-storied house,

and how my perfect ornaments grow loose, and how my beauty withers,

and the rows of bangles on my arms slide down.

Maturai Marutaṉilanākaṉār

8. “Could he come” translates maṉṉāl, a word that indicates her wish will probably not come to pass.

10. The land described is paddy land, whose fields have raised borders to keep water in them when the paddy grows.  Here, it would seem the water from outside the fields dashes on the raised borders.

13. “White blossoms” and “dark” are added for clarity.

15. “Fading” is mutu, “old.”

19. “Slide down” translates ūrum, “be unloosed.”