[INDOLOGY] Prof. Dr. Michael Hahn (1941-2014)

Eugen Ciurtin e.ciurtin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 14:11:40 UTC 2014

Very sad news. Please accept my condolences.

Please announce H-Buddhism list too, as his readers for many decades
consisted perhaps mostly of Buddhist scholars, irrespective of country and
language. His oeuvre is another reason in South Asian studies, perhaps
worth mentioning it already, to learn German in order to benefit from his
manifold contributions and discoveries. I do hope his grand love for German
music, including playing, comforted him during his last years, as may
comfort his wife and many direct disciples. R.I.P.

E.Ciurtin

:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> it is with deep regret that I convey to you the sad news of the passing
> away
> of our beloved teacher and good friend Professor Michael Hahn. After a
> prolonged illness this distinguished scholar left us peacefully in the
> evening
> of July 12, 2014. For almost two decades from 1988 till 2006 Professor
> Michael Hahn held the chair of the Department of Indology and Tibetology at
> the University of Marburg, where he fostered many students and contributed
> numerous books and articles. Even to the very last days of his fruitful
> life,
> despite the impediments of his illness, he was always keen to promote
> scholarship and generously shared his vast knowledge. We will all dearly
> miss him. A small memorial service will be held today at 5 p.m. in the St.
> Elisabeth-Hospiz in Marburg. At present arrangements for a funeral service
> at
> his birthplace in Otterndorf are being made.
>
> Kind regards,
> Dragomir Dimitrov

>    Dr. phil. Dragomir Dimitrov
>    Indologie und Tibetologie
>    Philipps-Universität Marburg
>    Deutschhausstr. 12
>    D-35032 Marburg
>    Germany
>
>    Tel.: +49 6421 28 24640, +49 178 9190340
>    E-mail: dimitrov at staff.uni-marburg.de
>    http://www.uni-marburg.de/indologie

Dr E. Ciurtin
Secretary of the Romanian Association for the History of Religions

Publications Officer of the European Association for the Study of Religions
www.easr.eu

Lecturer & Secretary of the Scientific Council
Institute for the History of Religions, Romanian Academy
Calea 13 Septembrie no. 13 sect. 5, Bucharest 050711
Phone: 00 40 733 951 953