[INDOLOGY] Alchemy metaphor

Christopher Wallis bhairava11 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 18:02:49 UTC 2014

Dear Dominik, thank you for the question. Taking Dr Aklujkar's arguments
for a more strictly philological approach into account, my current
conclusion is that *vedha *can have a narrower, more literal meaning and a
broader, more general meaning (much like *prāṇa*) and therefore, in
Abhinava's ĪPv passage (not cited in this discussion), where the word
stands on its own, I am translating *vidh- *as "transmute", and in the more
detailed ĪPvv passage, where *vidh- *denotes the first stage of a process
(followed by *abhini+viś *and *jīrṇa*), I am translating it as
"penetrate".  The sources cited by David White in his Alchemical Body
seemed to corroborate that when *vedha *is used in a looser, more
metaphorical sense -- or as the *result *of an alchemical process --,
"transmute" is appropriate, whereas a more precise usage demands
"penetrate".  Thus I would agree with those who take it as "transmute"
in *Bodhicaryāvatāra
*1.10.

best, CW