[INDOLOGY] Obituary of Professor S. Revathy

John Taber jataber at unm.edu
Thu Jul 10 06:22:05 UTC 2014

Mr. Saha,
What a loss! I met Prof. Revathi, at that time “Miss Revathy,” when I was a Fulbright scholar in Chennai in 1985. I was looking forward to reading with Prof. Veezhinathan but he was too busy. I was a little disappointed when he "handed me off," as I then thought, to his graduate student. How wrong I was! I learned more from her than most of the pandits I studied with that year put together. We read Vedantaparibhasa and Siddhantamuktavali. The depth of her knowledge and the precision of her explanations were awe-inspiring. It was from her that I learned that Indian logic matches Western logic in power, rigor, and clarity. She must have been summoned to some other world where she will converse with gods and continue her scholarly pursuits in the company of other Sanskrit luminaries. A spirit like hers could never be extinguished.
John Taber
Philosophy Department, University of New Mexico