[INDOLOGY] Alchemy metaphor

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 18:43:02 UTC 2014

Some months back, my wife Dagmar found this wonderful video of mercury
"eating" gold <http://youtu.be/gKxCw889qck>. Perhaps it will help with
understanding some of Abhinava's metaphors?

Incidentally, there's a new book on Indian alchemy by Andrew Mason,
Rasashastra
<http://www.amazon.com/Rasa-Shastra-Hidden-Medical-Alchemy/dp/1848191073>
(2014).   It's distinguishing feature is that Mason has spent a great deal
of time experimenting and trying things out, with guidance from alchemy and
ayurveda practitioners in Sri Lanka and elsewhere.  The book contains many
photos and recipes, chemical analyses, and sections on medical astrology
and gemstones.  Recommended, if you are interested in rasaśāstra.

Dominik