[INDOLOGY] intensive course on grammar and poetics

George Hart glhart at berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 8 15:56:01 UTC 2014

I wonder whether I am the only one on this list who finds the title of this course misleading.  The course deals with Sanskrit and only Sanskrit, which is, of course, fine.  But by titling itself “Intensive Course on Indian Grammar and Poetics,” it slights the many other grammatical and poetic traditions of India and may mislead students and others into thinking Sanskrit is the only language in which such traditions exist.  The truth is quite different, of course.  The Dravidian languages (and, I believe many of the Indo-Aryan languages) all have extremely rich traditions, both grammatical and poetic.  It is quite important, I believe, to study these traditions.  They are often radically different from Sanskrit (Tamil).  And even when the Sanskrit traditions are tapped, as in the Malayalam Līlātilakam, there are significant differences.  Sanskrit studies have suffered in the past by neglecting the other languages and traditions of South Asia, in my opinion.  George