[INDOLOGY] Alchemy metaphor

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 13:36:40 UTC 2014

I don't think vidhyate means "is penetrated."  I think it means
"transmuted."  Or even "multiplied."  Actually, I'm not really sure what it
means.  But "vedhana" isn't simply "piercing" in rasaśāstra literature.  It
seems to correspond to what the classical (Greek and Latin) authors mean
when they talk about transmutation and multiplication (increase) of
substances.  In your text, vidhyate is used synonymically (?) with
abhini+viś.  Infused?  Permeated?  I'm really not sure what the alchemical
simile is, so I would be urge caution with the application of a chemical
metaphor to the philosophical case.  Maybe you could work backwards, if you
know pretty much what Abhinavagupta is saying philosophically, we could
deduce what he thought the chemical processes were.  I think transmutation
or transformation might work.

About jīrṇa, I think it's the same as one of the 16 rasa-saṃskāras, jāraṇa
a form of chemical digestion (perhaps, in modern terminology, oxidation).
I'll leave it to others to say more.
Best,
Dominik