[INDOLOGY] AiG I Einleitung

Dipak Bhattacharya dipak.d2004 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 16:10:46 UTC 2014

*<*indology at list.indology.info*>*, <lubint at wlu.edu>, <
daniel at danielstender.com>, <pwyzlic at uni-bonn.de>, <ashok.aklujkar at gmail.com>

2.7.14

Dear Colleagues,

I sincerely thank my kind colleagues, Professors Tim Lubin, Daniel Stender,
Peter Wyzlik and Asok Aklujkar for the prompt reply sent by them along with
attachments that I downloaded and saved. There was some misunderstanding
that, however, has done no harm. The matter stands as follows

I do have Renou's Introduction générale - a relatively new and usable copy
of my own. What I lacked was the German Einleitung of 1896. Our University
Library does have it but it is so brittle that it is not lent for use and
cannot be Xeroxed. It was reserved for digitalization. Digitalization is on
but not yet complete. I enquired a few times. It had not been digitalized
till my last enquiry. I searched the few online archives/libraries but
could not trace the volume.

That forced me to request for help for the German Einleitung. I am deeply
indebted to the Indology site and the helping colleagues. And this is not
the first time I have been helped in urgent need.

Some unwanted rantings.

Everybody knows that even after Burrow Wackernagel/Renou's Introduction
générale stands a colossus among introductory essays on the language of
Sanskrit. But it offers a few problems particularly to teachers who try to
help students with it. One does not easily know which part is Renou's and
which part is Wackernagel's. Again unlike German, French may sometimes lend
itself to more than one interpretation. These make it imperative that one
should have both Renou and the original.

Best wishes everybody

Sincerely

Dipak Bhattacharya