[INDOLOGY] Query

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 2 08:47:09 UTC 2014

Dear Dr. Jha,

Sumpa Khanpo never travelled in India, though he voyaged extensively in China and Mongolia
(he was actually an Oirat Mongol, not a Tibetan), and was interested in geography and history
generally. His extensive autobiography has not so far been studied, but you will find a short
resume of his career in

Petech, Luciano. 1959. Preface to Lokesh Chandra. Ed. Dpag-bsam-ljon-bzan. New Delhi:
International Academy of Indian Culture.

I have written two articles dealing with him as well:

1989  “The Purificatory Gem and its Cleansing: A Late Tibetan Polemical Discussion of Apocryphal Texts”. In History of Religions, 28/3, pp. 217-244.

2011 “Just where on Jambudvīpa are we? New Geographical Knowledge and Old Cosmological Schemes in Eighteenth-century Tibet,” in Sheldon Pollock, ed., Forms of Knowledge in Early Modern Asia: Explorations in the Intellectual History of India and Tibet, 1500-1800. Durham NC: Duke University Press, pp. 336-364.

If you cannot locate them easily, I will be pleased to send you pdf-s.

with best regards,
Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago