[INDOLOGY] Hindu Buddha

dermot at grevatt.f9.co.uk dermot at grevatt.f9.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 10:16:35 UTC 2014

Indeed it is entirely wrong, as Jonathan says. If it wasn't for "the British" (taking this to refer to
the period roughly 1750-1947, and especially British and continental indology and its
influence on Indian intellectual life), Hindus would still know Buddhism as a system to be
represented in purvapakshas and then condemned, or as the teachings of an avatara
designed to mislead the wicked.

It's true, yet wrong, to say the Buddha never said he was quitting Hindu religion or Sanatan
religion or Vedic religion, or forming a new religion, because such concepts didn't exist.

Best wishes to Madhav, Jonathan and all,

Dermot Killingley

--
Dermot Killingley
9, Rectory Drive,