[INDOLOGY] Vedic recitation technical term

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Fri Jan 31 11:59:35 UTC 2014

Hello James,

     I don't know if there is a technical term for this very common
practice, which offers the reciters some rest.  Often collective recitation
of the Vedas is called Vedaghoṣa or Mantraghoṣa, the term ghoṣa suggesting
a big sound.  Perhaps, this usage of ghoṣa is connected with modern
expressions like Marathi jayaghoṣa, a body of people shouting someone's
victory.  Of course, this does not specifically reflect any alternating
recitation of the Vedic mantras.

Madhav Deshpande

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 5:19 AM, James Hartzell <james.hartzell at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Colleagues
>
> MIght someone be able to help out with the following?
>
> In current Vedic recitation practice in India, one method used in either
> pair or group recitation is for each member of the pair/each half of the
> group to recite one line of the text, with the second member of the
> pair/second half of the group reciting the next line, and continuing in
> this alternating manner.
>
> I'm trying to recall the technical term for this type of recitation
> practice.
>
> Naturally any references to it in the published literature would also be
> welcome.
>
> Cheers
>
> James Hartzell, PhD
> Center for Mind/Brain Sciences (CIMeC)
> The University of Trento, Italy

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA