[INDOLOGY] Aditya-varna

dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk
Thu Jan 23 15:55:30 UTC 2014

Dear Howard,

Thanks for your message.

This thread seems to have got a bit tangled. James' question was whether
AdityavarNa was common as an adjective; your answer was that Aditya isn't common
as an adjective. That's a different question, but I think your answer is right. As MW
implies, it's a vrddhi formation, and is therefore an adjective ("mfn" in MW's notation),
meaning etymologically "belonging to or descended from Aditi", but it's mostly used in
the masculine, meaning a class of gods or the sun(-god). Returning to Aditya-varNa,
in the verse that appears in BhG 8.9 and in earlier contexts, it looks like a bahuvrihi,
which is by nature an adjectival phrase (though like any adjectival formation in Skt it
can be used as a noun).

With b est wishes,

Dermot